Chili Chicken Verde



Whether it is chile chicken verde, chili chicken verde, chicken chile verde...I love this dish. It's fast and flavorful and easily tweaked to make it your own.

Tomatillo Sauce
2 lbs tomatillos, husked and washed
1 large onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
1 jalapeño pepper
2 poblano peppers
1 lime

Directions
Broil tomatillos and onions 30-45 minutes.
Roast peppers over an open flame.
Place roasted peppers in a food-safe plastic bag and wait 3-5 minutes before rubbing the charred skins loose.
Depending on your heat tolerance, you may want to deseed and/or devein the peppers.
Juice the lime into the blender before adding the rest of ingredients.
Blend to a preferred consistency. I like my sauce smooth rather than chunky.

To make the chili, you need chicken and one batch of tomatillo sauce. Normally, I pressure cook eight boneless, skinless chicken things in 1-2 cups water and 2 t salt. Then, I drain the broth (reserving it for later use), shred the chicken, and add the tomatillo sauce to the liner. Set the IP to high sauté and cook until simmering. I have also taken a shortcut with a store-bought rotisserie chicken that I've deboned and shredded. Then I use the skin and carcass for broth.

I've also blended all the vegetables raw, adding some broth to get the consistency I like, and cooked the sauce on the stove for 30-45 minutes on a medium simmer before adding the shredded chicken.

I usually just eat this as stew; but I've taken to putting it in small corn tortillas that I've roasted over an open flame...making street tacos.

If you like cilantro (I don't), chop some cilantro and add it to the blender. Or top your street tacos with it. Or both.

You can change to flavor profile with 1 t ground cumin, 1 T dried oregano, and/or 4 garlic cloves (personally, I love garlic so, if I'm adding garlic it's going to be an entire bulb that's been broiled in the oven).

The sauce makes a great dip for chips, too.

Comments