Tomato Squash Soup

YIELD: 8-9
POINTS/serv: 1.5 - 1

This soup is perfect for Winter or Spring! You will get a smoother soup if you whirl this in small batches (1/2 - 1 cup)

1 medium acorn squash, about 2 1/2 lbs., peeled, seeded and cut into 1" pieces
2 cups plain soy milk
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, divided
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Fresh parsley sprigs, optional

In pot over medium-low heat combine squash and milk.
Cook until squash softens, 30 minutes.
Stir in 1 can tomatoes with liquid.
Transfer to blender; process until smooth.
Return to pot; add remaining tomatoes with liquid, ginger and salt.
Cook until heated through, 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in parsley.
Serve garnished with parsley sprig, if desired.

NOTE: The first time I made this I didn't puree the squash/tomato mixture enough and ended up with a "rough" textured soup. I think if I had separated the liquids from solids on the first puree try, I would have gotten a smoother soup. Will let you know when I try again!

Comments