Paleo, an experiment

On May 28th, I started a 30-day Paleo challenge.  What is Paleo, you ask? This infographic is the best I've seen for explaining Paleo. This is a great blog post. For a thorough explanation, check out Robb Wolf.  There's also Paleo 2.0, Primal, and Weston A. Price that follow an "ancestral" eating/living style.  There's variation and restrictions depending on what guru you read.  I chose to follow the basics of Paleo:

No grains.
No legumes.
No dairy.
No added sugar.
No starches (ixnay on the otatoespay).
Pastured (preferred) protein sources.
Healthy oils and fats (coconut, avocado, olive).
8+ hours of sleep in a dark room.
Some sun exposure.
Exercise (this should be mostly lifting heavy things and some running around; but I did all "running" around).

Monday will be the start of the fourth week in the challenge.  I thought I'd post some of the recipes I've used for the last three weeks.  Before that though, a little reflection:
  • Within the first week (two to three days, actually) of ditching grains, dairy, and legumes, I was no longer getting out of bed stiff.  I have also been able to sleep better because my back, hips, and knees do not ache.
  • I lost five pounds the first week.  I didn't lose anything the second.  If my luck holds, I will show a two pound loss on Monday.
  • I'm less hungry.  Or maybe I'm recognizing hunger signals again.
  • Paleo = cooking...unless you are ordering grilled meats, steamed/grilled veggies, and salads with lemon juice and no croutons and no cheese.  Cooking is just easier for me.  Less temptation. More focus on what I should be eating. Complete control over what goes in my body.
  • Water is boring; but it does a body good.
So, why Paleo?  The short answer: a friend tried it with raging success; and I am sick and tired of being stiff, achy, and low on energy. The long(er) answer: I had been flirting with the idea of following Ideal Protein; but the cost is sky high and it relies on protein drinks/snacks, and over-processed food-like items.  I have worked really hard at ditching processed foods; and do not want to fall back on eating them again.  It's bad enough that I'd fallen into the fast food trap again.

Now the recipes!  Happy cooking!

Comments