Coconut Macaroons


While scanning recipes from my grandmother's kitchen, I found a handwritten recipe for Coconut Macaroons. I'm ALWAYS on the look out for a better macaroon recipe. This one is really a meringue and I regret nothing. 



Coconut Macaroons (really meringues)

2 egg whites
dash of salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups rice flakes cereal (I used Special K)
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325°F. Separate the eggs. Discard or set aside the yolks for another recipe. Beat the egg whites with dash of salt until stiff. Fold in the sugar, slowly. Repeat with the cereal, coconut, and vanilla. Drop onto a lightly oiled (or parchment paper covered) cookie sheet by the tablespoon full. Bake 17 to 22 minutes at 325° F. Cool until set (about 5 minutes).

Yield: 18-24 cookies.

Bake @ 325 for 17 - 22 minutes

Comments