Garlic Fideo Soup

As it is still 10000 degrees here in Texas, I wanted something fast that required very little cook time, and oddly enough, hot to cool me down. Sounds backward, but drinking hot tea or eating hot soup can help you cool off. While this met my requirements, it did NOT wow me. I only made 1/3 of the recipe so I wasn't left with a crap ton of soup. Definitely on the do not make again list. Which is terribly sad b/c I love fideo soups; and I love garlic. From: Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

If you want a rockin' fideo that will feed a small army: Tex-Mex Fideo.

1 lb fideo aka vermicelli (you can use any thin noodle)
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 small head of garlic, peeled and minced (I always cheat here and use jarred, minced garlic. I'm a heathen)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley, or cilantro, or espazote
6.5 c chicken STOCK
1/2 c bread crumbs

If you are not using short fideo, put the noodles in a bag and whack on them until the pieces are bite size (1- to 2- inches long).

Put olive oil in large, deep pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic when hot and cook, stirring constantly until soft and beginning to brown (abt 5 to 8 min).

Raise heat to medium-high, add noodles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brown noodles (abt 1 to 2 min).

Add paprika and 1/4 c fresh herbs, stirring to coat. Add the stock. Loosen the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan with the liquid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender (abt 7 to 8 min).

Taste, adjust season as needed.

Serve with fresh herbs and bread crumbs as garnish.

Comments