French Toast

Another Joy of Cooking recipe.

2/3 cup milk or half-n-half
4 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 tablespoon rum
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 slices of bread, stale is better than fresh
Butter for browning

Preheat a skillet. Combine first five ingredients. Soak each piece of bread in the egg mixture. Melt butter in skillet. Cook bread in skillet until well browned.


Ok, I think just about everyone knows how to make French Toast. Egg, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Bread. However, I am looking for a recipe that closely matches how my grandmother made French Toast. Let's put aside the fact that she cooked the French Toast in bacon drippings (mmmm, pig fat). I've never found the right ratio of egg to milk to bread. I think this recipe comes pretty damn close.

What I would do differently:

More egg mixture when using stale bread. I made three slices of French Toast. I cut the egg mixture by half. My stale bread soaked up every drop of the mixture and could have easily held more.

Actually remember the butter. Duh. I had the slices in the skillet before I remembered to melt the butter. Had to pull the slices up long enough to melt the butter.

Less sugar. You only need enough to make the bread caramelize a little. Plus, I use syrup on my French Toast (and no PB) and that's a ton of sweet stuff first thing in the morning...or late at night.

Comments