- 1 1/4 lbs lean beef or pork, ground
- 1 cup day-old Italian bread, crusts discarded and shredded (I used canned bread crumbs.)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley (I used dried.)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese (I used Parmesan.)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Soak bread in milk then drain it well.
- Soak the raisins in warm water for a half hour to revive them.
- Grind the meat and combine it with the bread, eggs, cheese, and parsley,
- Season to taste with salt.
- Make your meatballs, including a couple of raisins in the heart of each one.
- Sauté the meatballs in the olive oil, turning them so they brown on all sides
- stir in a cup or so of tomato sauce and heat through.
Hot Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1 3/4 cups tomatoes, canned,mashed with juices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- Heat oil in pan, add onion, garlic and stir fry until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, simmer until thickened and check seasoning.