Stir-fried tofu with mushrooms, sugar snap peas, and green onions

Adapted from epicurious.com

6 T soy sauce
2 T unseasoned rice vinegar
2 T honey
2 t oriental sesame oil
½ t dried crushed red pepper
1 12-oz pkg extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into ¾-inch cubes, patted dry with paper towels (I press the tofu between two plates with a stack of plates on top for about an hour)
¼ cup water
1 t cornstarch
2 T vegetable oil, divided
6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps quartered
8 oz sugar snap peas, trimmed (I used peas once. All other times, I’ve subbed asparagus. I think you can use anything.)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 T minced peeled fresh ginger
4 green onions, sliced on diagonal

Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Add tofu and stir to coat; let marinate for 30 minutes. (I leave for at least an hour, usually 2.) Drain, reserving marinade in small bowl. Whisk ¼ cup water and cornstarch into marinade.

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. (Here, I coat the tofu with cornstarch.) Add tofu and saute until golden about two minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer tofu to plate. (Here, I eat several pieces of the tofu.) Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes. Add sugar snap peas; stir-fry 2 minutes (a little longer for asparagus). Add garlic and ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds. Return tofu to skillet; drizzle reserved marinade mixture over. Stir-fry until marinade thickens slightly, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.

(I have it with brown rice. Also, I like spicy stuff, so I usually have some Thai chili garlic sauce on the side.)

Technorati: | | |

Comments

Lass said…
yay!!!!! you added it!!! Mmmmmm, stir-fried tofu.